Hey yall, this was a strong episode, my favorite of the season. I did have issues with it that i will get to. I noticed the change in the title card, instead of the enchanted forest with some object from the episode, it was just the “dark forest”, which i thought was a neat deviation. I loved the return of snowing’s theme in the sheriff’s office. Always great to hear one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. Also, i found Zelena sarcastically miming at Regina hilarious. Even when shes on screen for a short time, she steals the show. I was disappointed with Regina saying that she is the evil queen, i thought she moved past that. Anyway enough rambling, my top 5
5) The Writing…. The dialogue in this episode was great. Any time Jane Espenson is an episode writer you can count on it, and this episode didn’t disappointment. Lines like “hes producing oxygen”, Arthurs comment on always assuming a womans right, and Rumple saying “have you thought about kissing it out”. I love how sidious Rumple refers to himself as we, like Smeagol in Lord of the rings. Very good writing indeed.
4) Holy Convenience Batman… So many conveniences and easy resolutions. Regina puts a question mark in that book for no reason, then she happens to see in storybrooke and remember why she made it. The reliquary of course just shows up to fill a purpose, and then everyone welcome magic item of the week: the Crimson crown. Arthur gave David that seat way too easily. David didn’t do anything to deserve basically the highest honor in Camelot. I know it sounds like im being too harsh, its just i grow tired of such easy resolutions, especially after the fury last week. It is just something I have to expect from this show i guess.
3) The Dwarves… The scene where the dwarves come stomping in to the sheriffs office to complain… I was in stitches. They reminded me so much of like a mean girls troup, just yelling about something of theirs being taken, then they all just turn and walk out… I loved this scene!
2) Emma and her plan… The reveal that Emma plans to make Rumple the hero is awesome. It makes total sense that she would come up with this since Rumple is a blank slate now and she can mold him to be whatever she wants. I do wonder how someone so evil can teach someone to be a hero… But hey, details details right? Speaking of Rumple, it will be great to have him back again. Seeing Robert Carlyle as the dark one is always fun but ive grown to miss seeing him as Mr. Gold.
1) David and Arthur…. David showing his insecurities and vulnerability was nice, and very realistic. I felt like this fell flat at first because weve been over this with him already, but its like real life, no matter how strong we get in certain areas, there is always still the potential to struggle with those same issues. This may explain why he took the chair at the end so easily and didn’t question how easy and convenient it was. I really loved David and Arthurs Bro-ship, which makes Arthurs betrayal all the more painful. On the surface, to me Arthur is doing a wrong thing for the right reason. He just wants to protect his kingdom, which is noble. But when you think about it, hes kind of psychotic. Hes willing to make his subject kill himself to cover his tracks, and his disregard for anyone not from Camelot is ridiculous. I do really enjoy his character and cant wait to delve further into why hes like this and why Lancelot sees him as a villain. Im starting to think it was Arthur who turned Merlin into a tree, or at least maybe he got someone to do it, possibly Morgana. I loved Davids resourcefulness in finding out who the thief was, i was expecting him to call it the holy grail. I have to wonder…how does Arthur know how to drive a truck? I guess being transported in a curse comes with new skills.
Overall, conveniences aside, this was a great episode. Im smitten with dark Emma, Jennifer Morrison is playing this part so well and you can tell shes having fun with it. 9/10 Pictures of inside Zelena