I always looked at the Dark Curse in Season 1 of Once Upon a Time like an onion.
Yes, Emma did break the curse with a single act at the end, but I thought she did little actions throughout the season to break parts or layers of the curse along the way.
This is my list of what Emma – The Hero, The Savior did to break the Dark Curse in Season 1.
1. Action – Emma received a key to a room at Granny’s Bed and Breakfast and stayed in Storybrooke. She is visiting Storybrooke. (Pilot)
Effect – Time began moving again
1a. Action – Emma takes Mary Margaret’s offer to stay in her spare room in the loft. She is staying in Storybrooke. (Snow Falls)
2. Action(s) – Emma accepts the position of Deputy in Storybrooke (The Price of Gold), and
Accepts and wears the Deputy badge (That Still Small Voice). She is now a part of Storybrooke.
Effect – The crickets returned and the a hole exposed underground caves and some shards from Snow’s coffin from FTL. This begins to expose the truth of FTL to those in Storybrooke.
2a. Action – Won election to Sheriff after the death of Graham.
Jeff’s *Extra Additions* – Emma brings people together, thus giving them their happy ending, even during the curse;
Bringing Ava and Nicholas together with Michael Tillman (True North)
*Possibly* helping Sean and Ashley come together (Skin Deep)
3. Action – Emma grabbed Henry’s book, which made her; (A Land Without Magic)
Effect – Emma now believed that she was the “Savior” and part of Henry’s story
* It is interesting to note that many tried to get her to believe that she was the savior during Season 1, but failed *
– Henry tried many times to make her believe, but failed. Remember Henry letting Emma use Regina’s key that unlocked her apartment door?
– Jefferson tried to explain that the stories were true. (Hat Trick)
– August, a few times tried to tell her to take a leap of faith and believe, but she needed proof. August’s final bit of proof (his leg that was turning to wood)
wasn’t enough, because Emma’s denial was preventing her to see his leg turning to wood (“the truth”). (The Stranger)
4. Action – She kissed Henry on the forehead. The kiss of a Mother’s true love. (A Land Without Magic)
Effect – The Dark Curse was broken
So, what are your thoughts. Did I miss an action? Did I add too many? Do you agree or disagree? Leave your comments below.